Jackson, MS Attorneys
Call Now to Schedule a Consultation 601.664.0044
Equitable Distribution vs. Community Property')">

Can I modify my visitation plan?

Our lives are ever-changing and, as such, it would be unrealistic to assume the plans you agreed upon during your divorce should continue to stand years later, without adjusting to the changes that inevitably occur as life goes on. This is especially true when it comes to parenting and visitation plans. Assuming the modifications you would like to propose serve the best interests of your children, a family court would be willing to adjust a plan to accommodate the needs of your children or any changes in circumstances to your own life that make such modifications necessary.

Here is what you need to know about modifying a visitation plan:

  • Think twice before you make this request: Modifying a visitation plan is absolutely doable, but it is not always easy. If your former spouse is fighting you on these changes, the process can become long and expensive, so make sure your reasons for these modifications are for a good reason, such as a change in your career or a significant change in the lives of your children.
  • Consider if modifying the visitation plan helpful or harmful for your children: Even if you choose not to ask yourself this question, a family court will, so you might as well think long and hard about the impact these modifications might have on your children. The judge on your case will review your proposed modifications and will base a decision on whether or not the modifications will help or hurt the children.
  • Modifying the visitation plan: If you have considered the aforementioned points and decided that a modification is necessary, you will need to petition for these modifications with your family court. You must also serve your co-parent with a petition and a notice of the upcoming court hearing to determine if the proposed modifications are justifiable. During the hearing, you will be able to present your case to the family court judge and he or she will determine if the changes are appropriate.

Jackson, MS Family Law Attorneys

If you need to make a modification to your visitation plan, you will need a Jackson family law attorney on your side. At Shows & Smith Law Firm, PLLC, we are experienced and committed to helping clients effectively resolve a wide range of family law matters. We will provide the compassionate and respectful representation you deserve. Contact our office today at (601) 664-0044 to schedule a free consultation.


Contact Our Firm Today

All Consultations Are Confidential